Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Biggest Gifts Come in the Smallest Packages

Image result for nicu awareness monthRelated image

September is NICU Awareness month and it's in honor, I am dedicating this blog post to Brynlee, my NICU miracle.


Did you know that 1 out of 10 babies is born prematurely? When Jacob and I found out we were expecting with our second child, never did I expect that she'd be that 1 in 10. It's not a trial that either of us would have asked for but after experiencing it, it's one that I'd never give away.


On the afternoon of June 18, 2014, Jacob and I made our way to the office of our OBGYN, Dr. Faulkner. I remember being at work that day, nervous for the day to come. And even after reassurance from my coworkers, I was convinced that something was going on.  


We had been at one of our prenatal appointments the week before when we were advised our little girl was measuring a little smaller than anticipated. While the doctor told us not to worry ourselves with the unknowns, we scheduled a follow up appointment for the next week in which they would do a sonogram and take a closer look at how our gal was doing. 


After our sonogram, we were moved into an exam room to wait for Dr. Faulkner as she would be the one discussing their findings. After sitting in the room for a few minutes, I heard a voice in the hall. "Jessica Hill....32 weeks and 4 days..." I remember looking at Jacob and saying, "well, if that doesn't make a girl nervous, I'm not sure what does." And try as he may to convince me otherwise, there was nothing he could say to eliminate the knot that had formed itself in my stomach. 


I remember the doctor knocking on the exam room door. I remember trying to brace myself for what she was about to tell me. Our little gal, the one we had prayed and hoped about for over a year before becoming pregnant, was weighing in at less than three pounds. The average weight of a baby at 32 weeks is around 3.75 pounds. Not only that, my blood pressure had seemed to skyrocket since the last week, even though I had no symptoms of it being anything other than normal. As the appointment continued, Jacob and I were filled in on the steps we'd take from that day forward to bring a healthy baby into this world. We were advised that our hospital was not equipped to handle pre-term babies under 35 weeks and that we need to travel that afternoon to Stormont Vail Hospital in Topeka and be admitted where Brynlee and I could continue to be monitored until her birth. After making accommodations for Tristan and making phone calls for our family, Jacob and I made the hour long drive to Topeka. Our heads were reeling the entire way up there. How would the next few days pan out? Was it safe for our baby to be born this early?  


After admission and initial testing, I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia without severe symptoms. On June 18, 2014 I was given the first of two steroid shots to help Brynlee's lung functions develop. Depending on follow up labs, we were advised that she could be delivered at any point, however, they were hoping to make it until at least that Friday, when the shots would have time to take proper effect. The following day, June 19th, I was given the second shot and an appointment was scheduled with the Perinatologist for Friday the 20th. 


Friday. The. 20th. 


We saw the Perinatologist first thing that morning. While my labs had slightly improved in the days prior, they had showed a decline that day. She let us know that this could have been a result of the steroid shots. While they were helping our baby girl, they were masking some of my symptoms. It was decided that labor would be induced that day. We had just reached 33 weeks gestation. The events of that day were a whirlwind. I was given a medication to induce labor and another to keep my body calm as high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia can lead to strokes in laboring mothers. Tried as I might, it was decided early the next morning that a c-section was necessary as labor was not progressing and Brynlee's heart-rate decelerated, meaning that she was under stress as well. I remember praying, asking God to protect my baby, that if only one of us could make it out of the surgery, for it to be her. And then I remember praying again, asking him to protect both of us, as I had a six year old son waiting for me at home who needed his mother.


For those mother's who have never experienced a c-section (this was a first for me too as Tristan was birthed naturally), before they cut into you they perform a feel test where they pinch pieces of your skin around where they'll be making the incision to ensure you cannot feel it. Now, whether or not I could actually feel them pinching my skin, I am unsure, however, at the time I was CERTAIN I could. The doctor performing the surgery decided at this time that for the best of Brynlee and I, they would put me completely under for the procedure. 


The next thing I remember, I was in recovery, asking Jacob "how is she?" To which he replied, "she's doing great, she weighed 2 pounds, 14 ounces and has been taken down to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). She's in great hands."

No automatic alt text available.

I was pretty in and out of it for the next few hours. It was late the next morning when I was able to be taken down to see Brynlee for the first time. I tried to prepare myself for what I was about to see, tried to tell myself that while she may be tiny and hooked up to machines, she was okay. However, as they wheeled me into her room and I laid eyes on her first the first time, I felt like someone had knocked the wind out of me. She was SO tiny. She had a mask over her eyes, shielding them from the lights she had been placed under to bring down her bilirubin level. She had was on a bubble c-pap machine to help her lungs expand and contract like they needed. There was monitors and wires everywhere (or at least it seemed so to me) and since she was on respiratory care, we were unable to hold her, but could touch her through windows in her incubator. 


Here's a look into the days to follow:

June 23rd, 2014 - Brynlee came off of all respiratory care & was breathing completely on her own after only 3 days. And while this in itself was HUGE news, we were greeted with even GREATER news as we were now going to be able to hold our little girl (even if it was only in short intervals)!
Image may contain: 3 people

June 25th, 2014 - I am released from the hospital. 

June 27th, 2014 - Brynlee's bilirubin levels were down enough so that one of her lights was taken away. She gained two ounces and bounced up slightly past her birth weight.


June 29th, 2014 - Brynlee's bilirubin levels had gone down enough to where she no longer needed to be under a bililight. In the past few days a PICC line had been placed so that they didn't have to poke her every time they needed labs, & on this day she was wearing a cute little PICC gown!
No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

June 30th, 2014 - Weight is up to 3 pounds, 2 ounces. She began receiving 7ml of breastmilk every 3 hours instead of the 3ml she had been receiving previously.
July 1st, 2014 - Brynlee is able to take her first bottle & drinks the whole thing! Weight is up to 3 pounds, 3 ounces.
No automatic alt text available.

July 2nd, 2014 - Weight is up to 3 pounds, 4 ounces. We receive word that her IV fluids will continue to decrease as her feedings increase and her PICC line will be removed at the beginning of the following week.

July 3rd, 2014 - The NICU staff need a picture of a baby wearing a PICC gown to send to the foundation that provides funding and supplies for them & chose Brynlee! Weight is up to 3 pounds, 6 ounces. 

Image may contain: one or more people and baby

July 6th, 2014 - Brynlee is two weeks and 1 day old. She was taken off her lipids Friday & her IV fluids on this day. We received word that her PICC line would be removed the following day. Weight is up to 3 pounds, 8 ounces (only 25 grams away from being able to be moved to a crib where she would need to remain for at least 48 hours while maintaining her body temperature and having no breathing episodes). 


July 7th, 2014 - Brynlee is 27ml of breast milk every 3 hours (one step below full feedings). Weighed in at 3 pounds, 9 ounces. On this day, she also got to wear her first outfit!

No automatic alt text available.
July 8th, 2014 - PICC line is removed. Weighs in at 3 pounds, 10 ounces. Taking 6 out of 8 bottles per day.
July 9th, 2014 - Little miss decided to pull her own NG tube out! Began taking ALL feedings by bottle so she is moved to ad lib feedings. 
July 10th, 2014 - Weighed in at 3 pounds, 11 ounces (only 20 grams away from being moved to a crib). Took her first feeding from a regular bottle. 
No automatic alt text available.
July 11th, 2014 - Weighed in at 3 pounds, 13 ounces meaning she would be moved to a crib the next day!
July 12th, 2014 - Moved to a crib and continues to maintain her body temperature and eat like a champ. Weighed in a 3 pounds, 14.4 ounces.
No automatic alt text available.
July 13th, 2014 - Weighed in at 3 pounds, 15.9 ounces. Passed her car seat trial (90 minutes in a car seat with no episodes). 
No automatic alt text available.
July 14th, 2014 - Brynlee graduates from the NICU  and gets to go HOME!!!!!!!! 
Image may contain: 1 person


Our NICU journey lasted for 24 days. At the time, those 24 days seemed to drag on forever but we managed to to get through (thanks to the outpouring of love and support from our family, work families and friends). 


It's been 3 years since we last walked through those doors but even then, I truly believe the NICU always stays with you. Had it not been for the amazing care from the staff, those 24 days would have been a lot harder to get through. It's challenging to leave your baby in someone else's care while you are at home, an hour away, because life has to go on but never once did I feel that Brynlee was not being taken care of. The doctors and nurses did everything in their power to make sure that not only was our little girl taken care of, but that we were as well. And for them, I am forever grateful.
 


Image result for nicu quotesImage result for nicu quotes


P.S. Here's your fun fact for the day. There have been several times in my life when I've thought of a career in the medical field. And after our NICU journey with Brynlee, I've decided if I ever did take the leap, I'd love to find a job within the NICU, to help provide the hope for others that was so honestly provided for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment