Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Doodie-Wads & Bingo

Image result for quotes about family traditions


Christmas is hands down, my most favorite time of year and has always been my favorite holiday. For me, it's not about the gifts but about the traditions. You see, from the time I was little, my Grandma instilled in me the Christmas spirit. 

Last Friday evening, I got to spend some time with my Momma and the conversation soon turned to Grandma and all the things we did together, year after year. This year will be our second year without her and while we think about her daily, the void seems particularly daunting this time of year.

For those of you who didn't know my Grandma, let me just say this, she was an EXCELLENT shopper. Having worked in retail for many years, she was a professional at finding us the best deal. Every year before Christmas, my mom, my Grandma and I would embark on a girl's shopping trip. Any coupons we'd received were brought along, tucked into Grandma's billfold. Whenever we'd got our fill at a store, we'd make our way up to the checkout line and while waiting in line, Grandma would go through our finds and contemplate how to get the most bang for our buck. I can just hear her now, "We're going to put these shoes and these few shirts together, which totals ... and then we'll use our $20 off a purchase of $20 or more ...and for our second transaction we'll ...." It was a running joke in our family that one day we'd go to JcPenney and by the end of it, they'd owe Grandma money! 

Another thing I remember doing with her this time of year is making doodie-wads (or in common lingo, no bake cookies). It's a southern thing...don't ask. Grandma had the process down to an art. She knew exactly how long the mixture need boiled and when you actually needed to start the timer and they always turned out perfect. Me on the other hand, can not make a batch of no-bakes to save my life. I've tried and tried and tried again. They either harden up too quick or I can't get them to harden up at all. There is no in between. 

Hallmark Movies. She'd watched them all at least once. Mom said when her and Grandma would talk on the phone, Grandma would tell her all about the movies she watched and told Mom which ones to look for to come back on. Growing up I remember watching them with her but I didn't really find my appreciation for them until last year. And while I haven't watched very many yet this year, my DVR is full of recordings of them (sorry honey!). 

Back before I can remember, my Grandma worked at Newman's Department Store. I didn't know until last Friday that it was due to a foot injury that my Grandma was put to work doing gift wrapping. It must have been there that her wrapping expertise began. You see, at Christmas time, Grandma didn't believe in gift bags (unless time didn't allow proper wrapping or an odd shaped present came along). All presents must be wrapped. Not only that, there was a science to it which had to be followed. She did not care for shiny paper. And presents were topped with ribbons and bows (which properly matched and/or accented the wrapping paper). After a wrapping session, Grandma could tell you the average time to complete wrapping a gift, from boxing to gift tag and how many presents were averaged per half hour or hour. It's an art that she passed down to my mother and I and one which we take very seriously. 

Some other things I remember include the following: the bowl that set on her kitchen table year after year, filled with apples, oranges, mixed nuts, candy canes and Hershey kisses. The candy containers filled with M & Ms, peanut M & M's, miniature snickers and miniature peanut butter cups that were placed throughout her house. The sundrop cakes she'd have my Aunt Janice make for us on the years we'd go to North Carolina. Holiday cookies (but only the kind you could buy in bags for $1 at Dollar General). 

And now for the grand finale of our Christmas traditions: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. 

On Christmas Eve, we'd always gather as a family for a night of food and fun. The menu for dinner remains the same to this day, chili and all the fixins'. After dinner, we'd gather around and one of us grandchildren would ready the Christmas story out of the bible. When we were younger, Grandma might let us open one of our gifts from her, but as we got older, we started a new Christmas Eve tradition, bingo. Everyone that plans on playing is to bring a couple of little white elephant gifts and when a bingo is called out, the lucky winner gets to pick a random present from the stash. It's always a good time. The banter between us players is normally what makes the experience for me. Even Grandma, fun loving Grandma, loved to pick at us while we played.

Christmas morning consists of Santa, gift exchange and cinnamon rolls, always cinnamon rolls. And coffee, we mustn't forget the coffee.  And now that I'm adult (a term which I use very loosely), my favorite part of Christmas Day is watching everyone else open their gifts. And in only 19 days, I'll get to do that again. Until then, I'll be carrying on with tradition, both those started by my Grandma and ones Jacob and I have started with our own children. 

And to each and every one of you reading this, I wish you a very Merry Christmas!!!! 

Image result for quotes about christmas traditionsImage result for christmas quotes Image result for christmas quotes
Image result for christmas quotes Image result for christmas quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment