Monday, May 23, 2011

Talking Seagulls, Polyjuice Potion, Quarters Miles & A Classic Love Story

A little girl sits on the couch, in a trance from the scene on the television. She begins to sing along to the song playing through the speakers. 
  
"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat? Wouldn't ya think my collections complete? Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, girl who has...everything. Look at this trove, treasures untold, how many wonders can one cavern hold?"

As the song plays on she makes her way from the couch, glides over to the coffee table and pushes herself up on it, shouting out..."part of your world!"

No, this is not a scene from AFV (although I am sure it could have easily made the cut). I watched The Little Mermaid time and time again as a little girl. I could repeat the movie forwards and backwards and sing along to every song along the way. When I would go swimming, I would hold my legs together and dolphin kick, pretending that I was off on an adventure in an underwater kingdom with my best buddy Sebastian, looking for treasures and dodging sharks. 

This is why I am thankful for movies and literature. Because for that 385 pages or hour and a half, I am lost in another world, living in another person's shoes. I am able to be whoever I want and let go of whatever else I have going on around me. 

"He's not relaxing is he?" I watch the Devil's Snare curl around Ron's body. "I've got to do something.....Devil's snare, devil's snare...it's deadly fun but will sulk in the sun."


"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters; not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."

"Why didn't you write me? Why? It wasn't over for me, I waited for you for seven years. But now it's too late."


Ariel....Hermione Granger...Dom Torretto...Ally... who and where will I be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment